by Giovanna De Martino 5F (scientifico)
From 22nd to 26th of November, my class together with 5C went to Portugal’s capital: Lisbon.
We spent a lot of time visiting the old and the new districts of the city.
We really had a great time there and we were surprised by the atmosphere which we breathed and experienced everywhere.
If I had to suggest what to explore in Lisbon, I would say:
- The Alfama Area: the most particular and characteristic place, from whose terraces you can have a breathtaking glance of Lisbon’s skyline.
- The Baixa Area: the rebuilt part of Lisbon, after the earthquake that had destroyed part of city near the ocean in 1755, now this a vibing area full of hotels and cafés, near to the Tagus river
- The Bairro Alto and Chado, full of bars and also traditional shops.
- The Lisbon Cathedral
- The Monastero dos Jerónimos
- The Belem Tower
The area that was dedicated to EXPO in 1998
Besides the interesting places to see, there are some typical things that you can appreciate in Lisbon:
- The colourful facades of the buildings as well as the murales around the city.
- The delicious food
- The bright colours of the metro stations
Many of the buildings facades are decorated with a kind of white tiles with blue, green and yellow drawings called “Azulejos” every building has a different type of azulejos and it is different from the next one, I think this makes the city more bright and cheerful.
I appreciated the typical food; Portuguese kitchen uses a lot of fish like codfish (bacalhau) and sardines (sardinha) with a lot of garlic. Trying different kinds of cooking is a delicious way to understand peoples, and we tried dishes that we had never tasted before.
The murales around the city told us a lot of different and weird stories narrated in different styles, this really made the city alive!
Another thing that I liked were the metro stations, in fact every station was extremely different from the others; they’re colourful and full of poems by great authors from all over the world. This makes Lisbon a true cosmopolitan city with an artistic soul that surprised me!
I really hope to go back.
Watch the video!